Our Carol Concert at St John’s Church, Burgess Hill on 6th December featuring a massed choir after five weeks of rehearsals.
Our Learn to Sing ‘End of Course’ concert where participants showcased the songs they had learnt to their friends and families at St Paul’s College on Tuesday 15th March.
In February we were delighted to announce that Mark Grindall had joined us as our new Chorus Director.
Mark is a past Chairman of the BABS Guild of Judges and is a well-known and respected vocal coach. The appointment follows Mark’s recent relocation to Kent. Alongside his new role at TSH, he will continue in his current role as Chorus Director of The Knights of Harmony. Mark took on his new responsibilities at TSH on 15th March.
Our free, 7 week Learn to Sing course held over February and March in full swing with a planned End of Course show that will feature all those who attended and will also include one or two numbers by some individual performers plus some songs from the Harmonisers.
(courtesy Britt Forsberg)
Are you Inspired to Sing? Come and sing a cappella!
Men, have ever wondered whether you would enjoy singing without the support of instrumental backing? Or with a male-voice group in four-part harmony?
If you have sung unaccompanied before, you’ll know how much fun you can have ringing chords with a friendly bunch of people.
Come and try all those things with The Sussex Harmonisers. We are holding a free, open rehearsal and would love current (and lapsed) male singers to join us for the evening. You will receive a very friendly welcome.
The chorus will be under the direction of Mark Grindall, who is a gifted and enthusiastic vocal coach and director.
The session will be held at our normal rehearsal venue: St Paul’s Catholic College, Jane Murray Way, Burgess Hill RH15 8GA
from: 7.30 pm to 10.00 pm
on: Tuesday 17 January.
If you are unable to come on the 17th but are interested in what we do, come along on any other Tuesday evening.
The Sussex Harmonisers chorus is a male voice a cappella group singing mainly in the barbershop style. We’re a friendly bunch, from all walks of life, who share a love of singing. Our repertoire covers a wide range of songs, performed in unaccompanied four-part harmony. We rehearse once a week and entertain a variety of audiences.
We’d like to have a good idea of how many singers to expect, so if you plan to attend, please call Brian on 01273 553102 or send a short email to email@example.com
We look forward to singing with you!
(courtesy Viv Nicholas)
– publicising our forthcoming Learn to Sing course, the Harmonisers entertained shoppers in the Martlets, Burgess Hill on the 12th and 19th December.
– a great night out singing in the awesome surroundings of the Royal Pavilion Music Room on 11th December:
– a couple of photos from our lunchtime gig at the Salvation Army hall in Burgess Hill on 28th October (thanks Colin).
– great sing-out at Bedfest, the small but perfectly formed local festival (with a particularly well stocked beer tent), at Albourne farm on Saturday 20th June.
– on the 6th June we celebrated the 10th Anniversary of our founding, singing alongside The Royal Harmonics and Coastline Harmony at St John’s Church in Burgess Hill.
– many congratulations to all those who took part in both the Quartet and Chorus competitions at Convention in Llandudno this year. Results can be found here.
– a brilliant weekend’s retreat on 28th Feb/1st March, the highlight of which was a day’s coaching from Timm Barkworth. Timm, you made such a difference – thank you.
– we entered the annual chorus competition held by the British Association of Barbershop Singers.
– we put on a very successful show, “Out of the Blue”, which also featured Green Street Blues and ‘Les Anglais’.
– we sang at numerous events all over Sussex, and were honoured to sing at the inauguration of a new barbershop chorus in Ashford, the East Kent Chorus.
– we competed in the Mid-Sussex Music Festival in November, entering both the Male Voice Choir and Barbershop Chorus classes and achieving distinctions in both;
– we presented a Show at our Open Evening on 12th October;
– following our very successful Auction of Promises on 11th September we raised a grand total of £903.00 for our charity, St Peter & St James hospice. Our Chairman is pictured here presenting a cheque to Carol Hughes, Community Fundraiser for the hospice:
– in May we competed in the national Chorus Competition held in Harrogate and run by The British Association of Barbershop Singers:
photo by event-photos.co.uk (Sing2010-Harrogate)
– in March we won the Male Barbershop Class at the Portsmouth Music Festival and were awarded the Bullin Rosebowl;
– did you catch our ‘Not the Christmas Show’ on Saturday 26th November? If not, you missed a spectacular evening of music, song and variety, featuring Cantatrice and a number of other acts.
– in August we took part in the Proms in the Paddock, organised by the Commercial Square Bonfire Society in Lewes.
– in July we took part in an evening concert of musical friendship with the Fleckenberger Sound Projekt, a mixed contemporary choir from Burgess Hill’s twinned town of Schmallenberg, Germany. Watch us perform one of our numbers, ‘You Don’t Know Me’, on You Tube.
– we competed in the national chorus competition held by the British Association of Barbershop Singers at their annual Convention, this year, in Llandudno.
– we took part in the Brighton Fringe Festival for the first time, hosting two very successful evening shows at The Old Courtroom in Church Street over the weekend of 7th and 8th of May.
– on 25th February we took part in ‘The Brandenburg Spring Choral Festival – A Celebration of Barbershop’ at The New Players Theatre, and sang alongside Capital Connection and Crossfire. Check out our exuberant performance in the after-show glow – our first outing on You Tube.